If you are a U.S. citizen, but have never been issued a U.S. passport, you must apply in person, by appointment only. Please follow the steps below.
Schedule an appointment. Please use the online Appointment System to choose a date and time. After you have scheduled an appointment, proceed with the following steps:
Gather the following items to bring to your appointment:
- DS-11 application form – complete and print. Do NOT sign the form. You must sign the DS-11 in the presence of the consular officer;
- Proof of U.S. citizenship — a certified copy of U.S. birth certificate, original Naturalization Certificate, or U.S. Certificate of Citizenship;
- Proof of identity – any valid, government-issued ID, including a driver’s license, ID card, or military ID;
- Two passport photos – 2×2 inches (5 x 5 cm) with a white background. More information about photo requirements can be found here.
- The appropriate fee – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.
PLEASE NOTE: Effective April 2, 2018, the passport execution fee increased from $25 to $35. The $10 execution fee increase applies to U.S. passport applicants using the DS-11 form including: first-time applicants over age 16, children under age 16, and applicants who reapply after reporting their previous passport lost or stolen.
For questions, please contact us at KabulACS@state.gov, or by phone, +93 (0)700 114 000, from Sunday through Thursday from 8:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:00 (excluding U.S. and Afghan holidays).