Notarial Services

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul suspended operations on August 31, 2021.  While the U.S. government has withdrawn its personnel from Kabul, U.S. citizens in Afghanistan in need of routine consular services can contact any U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. To locate the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate please visit U.S. citizens who are in Afghanistan and are seeking U.S. government assistance to depart should either complete the Repatriation Form or, if you are unable to access the form, please email your complete biographic details and contact information (email and phone number) as well as your US Passport number to   We will also continue our efforts to help Lawful Permanent Residents, as well as the many Afghans who have stood with us over the years, who are seeking to leave Afghanistan.

Our commitment to the people of Afghanistan is enduring. We will continue to press for an orderly transition of power to an inclusive government with broad support and that respects the rights of all of its citizens, including women and minorities. We will use every diplomatic, economic, political, and assistance tool at our disposal to uphold the basic rights of all Afghans; support continued humanitarian access to the country; and ensure the Taliban honors its commitments.

Please follow the steps below to request notary services.

Please visit the website of the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to determine how to make an appointment for a notarial service.

Gather the following items to bring to your appointment:

  • The document to be notarized – DO NOT sign the document. Ensure that you understand the contents of the document – a consular officer cannot explain it to you nor can the officer advise you on any legal aspect of the document.
  • A government-issued photo ID, such as a valid passport U.S driver’s license
  • Witnesses – if required. Each witness must present valid photo identification.
  • The appropriate fee – $50.00 per signature – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Consular officers are unable to assist you with preparing your document and cannot provide any legal advice on any aspect of what should be included in the document, if the document must be notarized, if the document requires witnesses, nor if the document will be valid in the jurisdiction in which it will be used.

The Embassy cannot authenticate or make certified copies of public documents or academic records issued in the United States.

For more information on notary and authentication services, visit the Notarial and Authentication Services page of the Department of State website.