Death of a U.S. Citizen

Please contact the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit immediately to report the death or serious injury of a U.S. citizen. The Department of State web site describes the type of assistance that the ACS Unit can offer in the case of the Death or Injury of an American Citizen Abroad.

The ACS unit provides guidance to family members of the deceased on how to make arrangements for local burial or to return the remains to the U.S. The ACS Unit also produces a Consular Report of Death Abroad for the family to use as proof of death in legal proceedings in the U.S. Please note that the ACS Unit cannot produce the Consular Report of Death Abroad until a local death certificate is issued.

The Embassy regrets that it does not have funds available to help with the return of remains or other costs associated with funeral arrangements. The ACS Unit will assist with documentation for remains shipped to the U.S. and will oversee the required preparations, but all costs are the responsibility of the family. While shipment of remains via commercial airlines is possible, it is very expensive and takes time. Cremation and local burial are available in Afghanistan.

For more information, please review the Disposition of Remains Report (PDF 70.7 KB) for Afghanistan.