Eligibility for a CRBA

When applying for a CRBA or a first passport for your child, your child’s claim to U.S. citizenship must be evaluated.  In order to do so, please bring the following items to your appointment.

  1. The child must appear in person at the appointment.
  2. Completed but unsigned DS-2029 form (PDF – 345KB)

Supporting Documents – Please bring all of the following documents to your appointment. All documents must be originals. Certified English translations of documents written in Dari are required. Please also bring copies of each document.

  1.   The child’s foreign birth certificate and Afghan Tazkera.
  2.   Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). A current passport is the preferred form of proof. A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
  3.   Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. The child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names listed.
  4.   A current marriage certificate and all prior divorce certificates, if applicable.
  5. Proof of Physical Presence in the U.S. Provide evidence that the U.S. citizen parent lived in the U.S. for the time period required to transmit citizenship to her/his child.

Proof of your physical presence in the U.S. will be unique to your situation. Some examples of acceptable evidence may include:

  • Social Security Statement
  • Income tax returns and wage statements (Form W-2)
  • Rental receipts
  • Employment records
  • School records, such as official transcripts
  • Medical records
  • Utility bills in the name of the parent
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
  1. If the child was born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father or the U.S. citizen parent is otherwise unavailable at the time of the interview, please also complete the Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support – DS-5507.
  2. The appropriate NON-REFUNDABLE fee– To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.

Please visit the Department of State’s website for further information on Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Processing Time & CRBA Pick Up

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is printed in the United States. You should allow 2-3 weeks for your application to be processed. We will contact you when the CRBA is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.

The ACS Unit does not mail CRBAs. You – or a person you designate by name with a signed letter – must appear in person to pick up the CRBA.

If you apply for a U.S. passport the child at the same time as the CRBA, the passport application will be processed after the CRBA is approved.  Both the CBA and passport fees are non-refundable. You will receive an email when the passport is ready to be picked up at the U.S. Embassy Consular Section.