Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Event: As of mid-March 2019, the U.S. Embassy has received increased reports regarding possible attacks coinciding with the Afghan New Year holiday that will be observed on March 21.
Militants continue to plan attacks against a variety of targets in Kabul, including Afghan, U.S., and other foreign government offices and facilities. Additionally, insurgents have threatened other facilities around the country where foreign citizens may gather, including Jalalabad Airport in Nangarhar province, schools, hotels, and housing compounds. There also may be demonstrations and large gatherings, and celebratory gunfire.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds.
- Consult with security providers at your location.
- Review your personal security plans and carry a fully charged communication device.
- Notify a trusted person of your travel and movement plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings and local security developments.
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
Located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul.
+93-700-114-000 or +93 -700-108-000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Afghanistan Country Information
- Afghanistan Travel Advisory
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter