Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kabul advises U.S. citizens that insurgent and terrorist groups and criminal organizations continue to target U.S. citizens and foreigners for kidnapping and hostage taking, including Western diplomats, doctors and other medical professionals, engineers, teachers, aid and development workers, government employees, journalists, and visitors.
In addition, these groups may target places where Westerners are known to congregate, including banks, markets, hospitals, guest houses and hotels, public gatherings, and areas near the U.S. and other foreign embassies in Kabul and other provinces, including Ghazni, Helmand, and Badakhshan.
Actions to Take:
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings and carry a charged cell phone
- Vary your travel routes and times
- Review your personal security plans
- Notify a trusted person of your travel and movement plans
- Consider travel via armored vehicle when possible
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
Located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul.
+93-700-114-000 or +93 -700-108-000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444