Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan (October 11, 2018)
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Event: Afghanistan is scheduled to conduct Parliamentary elections on October 20. While the government is making preparations to provide security at polling places and in major urban centers during the elections, on election day and in the period before and after, large demonstrations or gatherings may occur which could become a target for attack by terrorist groups. Traffic restrictions limiting movement may also be implemented as a security measure or to facilitate voting. U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance and caution in the coming weeks, and should avoid crowds and traffic disruptions. Terrorists and extremist organizations are known to exploit the presence of crowds to attack civilians without warning, using methods including suicide vests, grenades, and improvised explosive devices, including magnetically attached bombs.
As a reminder, in accordance with the Travel Advisory for Afghanistan, the Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Afghanistan. The security situation in Afghanistan is extremely unstable, and the threat to all U.S. citizens in Afghanistan remains critical. U.S. citizens currently visiting or residing in Afghanistan may wish to consider departing. The Embassy strongly urges U.S. citizens who decide to remain in Afghanistan to review personal security plans, take appropriate steps to enhance personal safety, remain aware of surroundings, monitor local media for updates, and maintain a high level of vigilance.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds, gatherings, and demonstrations.
- Review your personal security plans and carry a fully charged communication device.
- Notify a trusted person of your travel and movement plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings and local security developments.
- Monitor local media and news for updates.
- Minimize non-essential travel.
- American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
Located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul.
+93-700-114-000 or +93 -700-108-000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Afghanistan Country Information
- Afghanistan Travel Advisory
- Enroll in the Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter