July 31, 2016
Starting August 2, 2016, the pedestrian entrance to the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, located opposite of the Afghan National Radio and TV station, will be temporarily closed for construction. U.S. Embassy visitors, including U.S. citizens and visa applicants, must instead use the temporary visitor entrance located on Street 10 Burj Barqh, opposite of the Indira Gandhi Children Hospital.
Visitors should be aware of the following information, and make appropriate plans.
The temporary entrance is smaller and delays are possible, especially early in the morning. Please arrive at the U.S. Embassy entrance at least 30 minutes earlier than your scheduled appointment time.
Visitors should take care when walking the temporary route to the main U.S. Embassy entrance. The route is along a narrow road and the pavement is uneven in places. Consular Section visitors must also exit from the Street 10 Burj Barqh gate.
Construction is expected to last four to six weeks. A follow-up message will be disseminated announcing the re-opening of the main pedestrian entrance.
Emergency services to U.S. citizens are not affected by this change. For more information, please contact the American Citizen Services Section (ACS) during business hours by calling 0700-108-499 or sending an email to KabulACS@state.gov.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warning for Afghanistan, Travel Alerts, and Afghanistan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy, which is located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul. To reach the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit of the Consular Section during business hours, please call 0700-108-499 or send an email toKabulACS@state.gov. You can also reach the ACS unit through the Embassy’s switchboard by calling 0700-108-001/002. For after-hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please call the Consular Duty Officer at 0700-10-8001.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays)
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.