As of October 1, 2017, only U.S. Embassies and Consulates with dedicated Federal Benefits Units are permitted to assist with most Social Security Administration matters. We do not have such an office at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul. Therefore, if you reside in Afghanistan and have questions regarding Social Security Administration (SSA) services, you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located at the U.S. Embassy in Rome. We are unfortunately unable to contact the FBU on your behalf.
The Federal Benefits Unit in Rome can assist with:
- Social Security Number (SSN) applications
- Applications for benefits, spouse benefits, survivors benefits, or child benefits
- Change of address
- Representative payee applications
- International Direct Deposit (IDD) applications
- Lost checks, suspended benefits
If you need assistance from FBU Rome, please visit their webpage athttps://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/fbu/ and review the Frequently Asked Questions located on that site. Note: If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments
In order to contact FBU Rome, you can:
- Fill out an inquiry form at https://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/fbu/fbu-rome-inquiry-form/
- Email at FBU.Rome@ssa.gov.
For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s “Service Around the World” webpage athttps://www.ssa.gov/foreign/.
U.S. citizens traveling to or living in Afghanistan are advised to:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warning for Afghanistan, Travel Alerts, and Afghanistan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Carry the contact information for the U.S. Embassy, which is located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul. To reach the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit of the Consular Section during business hours, please call 0700-114-000 or send an email to KabulACS@state.gov. You can also reach the ACS unit through the Embassy’s switchboard by calling 0700-108-000. For after-hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please call the Consular Duty Officer at 0700-11-4000. Please note that the Duty Officer does not answer U.S. visa questions.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays) if you require additional information about American Citizen Services abroad.