Download the Editable Application: Application (DOCX 40KB)
Submit Your Application Package by Email to KabulPASENGLangProg@state.gov
Application deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020, at 5:00 pm Kabul Time
U.S. Embassy Kabul Public Affairs Section is now accepting applications for the 2020 English Teaching Mentor (ETM) Program. The program is designed to develop the teaching skills of English teachers in secondary schools and universities by providing intensive, high-level instruction in teaching English as a foreign language. The program is designed for early- and mid-career teachers who have not had training abroad. Participants are required to develop a training plan for teachers in their schools and universities at the conclusion of their year as ETM fellows.
From April to December 2020, the ETM program will provide four intensive, multi-day training workshops in Dushanbe, Tajikistan, focusing on English-language teaching and led by American instructors. Participants will develop a network of fellow teachers with whom to exchange ideas during and after the program.
The following list outlines the training objectives and training dates for each cohort:
- Training 1: (April 2020, three days): Understanding and demonstrating participants’ roles as mentors and teacher trainers
- Training 2: (July 2020, ten days): Learning and applying learner-centered instructional strategies in speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Training 3: (October 2020, three days): Demonstrating understanding of standard-based curriculum, assessment, and lesson planning
- Training 4: (December 2020, three days): Demonstrating the skills to continue professional development beyond the mentor program
All costs associated with this program will be reimbursed to participants.
Qualified applicants should be current teachers of English at the public primary, secondary, or university level who have a strong desire to mentor and train other teachers.
Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Costs: Training instruction, travel, accommodations, meals, and visa are sponsored by the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section in Kabul
Beginning date of program: April, 2020
Ending date of program: December, 2020
Number of Afghan participants: 12 (6 University Teacher and 6 Secondary school teachers)
Academic level of training: Graduate level (master’s level)
- Copy of your passport that shows it is valid for at least two years.
- Copy of your current School/University ID.
- Copy of your B.A Diploma/Transcript.
- A letter of support from your current school/university Administration’s agreeing for you to participate in this program.
- Copy of your update C.V.
- The subject line of the email should be ETM 2020_(your full name).