Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Event: In light of the upcoming Eid holiday, U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution in places where people are known to congregate, including public celebrations, markets, places of worship, and banks. The U.S. government remains concerned that insurgents are intent on targeting foreigners via kidnapping schemes and attacks at locations such as hotels, residential compounds, security checkpoints, government facilities, and airports. Perpetrators may seek to impersonate Afghan security officials, and use methods such as suicide vests, grenades, and magnetically attached improvised explosive devices.
Actions to Take:
· Keep a low profile
· Be aware of your surroundings and carry a charged cell phone
· Monitor local media for updates
· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners
· Notify a trusted person of your travel and movement plans
· Consider travel via armored vehicle when possible
· American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy Kabul, Afghanistan
Located at Great Massoud Road between Radio Afghanistan and the Ministry of Public Health in Kabul.
+93-700-114-000 or +93 -700-108-000 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates